Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Seasoned Rice


This mildly-seasoned rice comes together in a snap!  The ingredients for this recipe are not necessarily on sale this week (although Meijer does have 25% off their spices), but it was part of my 30-minute dinner tonight, so consider it a bonus recipe :)

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth OR 2 cups water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes)
2 cups instant/Minute rice
4 Tbsp margarine, cubed
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp basil

Directions:
Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium-sized pan.  If using bouillon cubes, smash them up so that they dissolve.  Add rice, spices, and margarine.  Stir until combined.  Remove from heat and cover pan tightly.  Let it set for 5 minutes or until almost all liquid is dissolved.  Serve with a slotted spoon to drain any remaining liquid. 

Options and Tips
  • If you prefer to use regular rice as opposed to instant, follow these directions instead:  Use 1 cup of rice instead of 2 cups.  All other measurements remain the same.  Mix all ingredients together and put into a lightly greased casserole dish.  Cover with foil and bake at 250 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, or 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.

This recipe came from my mom.  She made this side dish frequently when I was growing up, always using regular rice.  I decided to try it using instant rice one time because I didn't have an hour to wait for it to bake.  It's equally delicious both ways.

This recipe is linked to the Ultimate Recipe Swap over at Life as Mom.

3 comments:

  1. Just want to give credit to where I got this recipe. Aunt Norma made a meal for us when one of our kids was born, & she brought this as one of the side dishes. I really liked it, & liked how quickly it could be put together. So yes, I got the recipe from her, & made it often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to try the baked version. What an easy way to make a nice, tasty side dish. I'd probably end up raiding my Penzeys' stash and use one of their herb blends, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Made this last night with the long grain rice! It was really good and REALLY easy! Thanks for another great recipe!!! :)

    ReplyDelete