Saturday, January 14, 2012

Easy Ravioli Bake


(This recipe was first posted in conjunction with the Meijer Ad Week of 1/15/12-1/21/12)

This casserole is ready for the oven in less than 20 minutes...and that includes waiting for your pot of water to boil!  It's nothing fancy, but it's hearty and delicious.

Ingredients:
1 package frozen beef ravioli
1 - 24 oz jar spaghetti sauce (I use “flavored with meat”)
2+ cups shredded mozzarella cheese (more or less cheese as desired)

Directions:
Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain. Place ½ the cooked ravioli in a greased 3 quart casserole dish. Top with ½ the spaghetti sauce and ½ the mozzarella cheese. Repeat ravioli and sauce layers, making sure the ravioli is well coated and covered with sauce. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Top with remaining shredded mozzarella and bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve with garlic bread.

Options and Tips
  • There is a variety of frozen pasta options to choose from if you do not care for the beef ravioli. For a meatless option, try cheese tortellini.
  • Use a meatless pasta (cheese tortellini, cheese ravioli) and add frozen meatballs (thaw first, then halve them) to the sauce.
  • I've also added chopped fresh (or even easier, canned) mushrooms, and/or diced green peppers and tomatoes to this casserole.
  • This is a great make-ahead casserole. Put it in the fridge, and then add 20 minutes of baking time.
  • This casserole easily feeds my family, but you can double it for a larger family. 

This recipe came from my mom, Mary Kregel :)

7 comments:

  1. I've never made a ravioli dish before & this was good - my 20 month old absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe was a big hit with my family too, and I love how quickly it all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made this for years, and I never cook the ravioli first! The idea appeared in Real Simple a long time ago. I bake for about 30 minutes at 375. Even easier this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! Everyone here loved it. I used the cheese ravioli and added halved meatballs, black olives and mushrooms. it was a big hit and very easy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this easy recipe! I added pepperoni and also did not cook the ravioli - baked at 375 for 35-40 minutes - fantastic! My family loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this in the crock pot yesterday. (We had a baseball game.) Used cheese ravioli and turkey meatballs and it turned out great! I was a little worried that the pasta would get too soft, but it was just fine. The ravioli was frozen and the meatballs were partially thawed. Cooked it for 3 hours on low. Nice to come home and have dinner all ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made this for awhile & was looking for a quick dish to make. So, decided to try to cut more corners & made it like a few of the people who commented on it did. I didn't boil the ravioli ahead of time.(Yea!! No dirty pan to clean!) I also added mushrooms, meatballs(& didn't even halve them), & baked it uncovered at 375 for 35 min., then topped it with lots of cheese & pepperoni & broiled it for 2-3 min. till the cheese just started to get lightly brown. It was very good with the extra items added in, & I think I really liked the texture of the pasta better yet, than when I use to boil it first. Also, with just two of us now, I made 2 8x8's, so now have another meal in the freezer. Thanks to all the comments, I now like one of my favorite recipes better yet.

    ReplyDelete